Hotline gets 56 calls over surgical care
A hotline set up to take complaints about the quality of surgical care at a major Queensland hospital has received 56 calls in 10 days.
Caboolture Hospital is facing an independent review into its surgical services after a raft of recent allegations, including that operations were botched and that some patients needlessly died.
The review was ordered earlier this month after Health Minister Yvette D’Ath said she wasn’t confident the hospital had properly investigated one very serious allegation – that a doctor had performed surgery outside their scope of expertise.
Before the review was ordered, Ms D’Ath spent days batting away opposition questions in parliament, saying there had been no findings of system failings at the hospital, or failings by any one individual.
She noted a hotline set up to field any complaints had just three calls in its first day or so of operation.
On Friday Metro North Health, which operates the hospital, said there had now been 56 calls to the hotline.
There’s no word yet on when the results of the review will be released.
Metro North Health acting chief executive Jackie Hanson had previously expressed full confidence in the hospital’s executive leadership team, and its commitment to staff and patients.